Wednesday, September 12, 2012

SWITCH OFF

Writing is a full time occupation. Even when I'm not actually writing I'm still thinking about it. Plotting, character, structure, dialogue, they're all there in my head floating around, changing, shifting, becoming something else. I even dream plots in my sleep. It can be a little exhausting sometimes, especially when I've got a job on.

It's important to switch off every so often just so my head can have a rest. Easier said than done. I was going to take a day off today, but guess what I lined up for myself... I plan to read a 'How To Get Into Television And Stay There' handout from Yvonne Grace, catch up on some TV, read a few chapters of Lee Child's Worth Dying For and write this blog post. Not exactly getting away from writing, plots and characters.

And there in lies the problem for me, I can't escape and to be honest I don't really want to. I love creating stories, characters and exploring other people's work, be it printed or visual. I love reading books and handouts which help me improve as a writer and a businessman. I love letting my mind wander over the plots I have created and seeing where they take me. I just can't stop.

I suspect there are some of you out there who have the same problem and some of you who are probably trying to puzzle out what I'm on about. I think it's important to actually take yourself away from your writing now again, even if it's for only a few hours, to still the brain and quieten the soul.

I'm going to follow my own advice. I'm going to forget about what I planned to do today. I'm going to lie on the sofa and listen to music instead. Then I'm going to go for a walk with my youngest son. Then I'm going to pick the eldest son up from school. Then I'm going to eat my lunch. Then I'm going to play with both my children all afternoon until my dear lady wife comes home from work.

Probably.

No comments: